Thursday, December 11, 2008

It Finally Happened

The day I've been dreading for nearly two years has finally arrived.  I knew that it would be coming any day now, but I was always hoping that I still had more time.  Sadly, I don't.  It's over.  The good ole days are gone.  Kasia can now climb out of her crib.

It happened during her nap yesterday.  I put her down and then came downstairs to pick up all her toys.  I heard a shuffling upstairs and thought that she was just tossing and turning to get comfortable.  Then I turn around and there she is, giving me a hug.  She was so excited.  "I climbed out of my crib!" she said over and over in that language only Kasia speaks and which only a few of us understand.  My heart sank.  She looked so cute from being so proud of herself, and meanwhile all I could think was that this changes everything.  

Of course she's probably been able to do this for a very long time, but she has never tried hard enough to actually get out.  I put her back upstairs in her bed for a her nap about an hour later, and a few minutes later I heard a THUMP.  She did it again.  I asked her to show me how she does it, and sure enough, she just scales that crib like it's nothing.  

Well, so much for naps being easy.  Now my next big fear is the day when she doesn't take a nap anymore.  I pray that she's like my mother and still naps long after she's grown.

No comments: