Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Kara’s Trip from Hell

waitinginline1218211053

Kara flew home from New York on Friday, but not without a lot of hassle.  It was supposed to be an easy flight, with Kara being back and in her home by 8:00pm.

The problems started with the limo that took her to the airport.  It was scheduled to pick her up too late and so by the time it got her to the airport, it was too late for her to check in to her flight.

So she had to go across the street and wait in line to talk with an agent to reschedule.  For three hours she stood in a line waiting to talk to somebody, anybody, to figure out how to get home.  THREE HOURS!  There was some flight to Minnesota which was described as “hellish” and “a nightmare” because the passengers had to wait in their plane on the runway for nine hours.  Phooey!  That’s luxury compared to what Kara had to go through.  At least on a plane, you’re sitting down.  Your luggage is taken care of.  You’re not getting your heels run over by the guy with the oversized bag standing behind you.  Luxury.

When Kara finally did get a chance to talk with someone, they said she could either fly out the next day at one, or fly in to Richmond that night and get in by midnight.  So, rather than spending the night at the airport, she chose to go to Richmond.

And Kasia and I packed our things up, and made the journey to Richmond International to pick up her and Linda at midnight.  I thought that I was going to fall asleep well before getting there, but as the night wore on, I got more and more awake. 

Then when I got to the airport to pick them up, it turns out that the airline sent their luggage to Norfolk.  And since it was so late, we’d have to wait until the next day to get it. 

We finally got home at around two in the morning, or just a little later.  It was a long day.  When I was younger, before Kasia, I used to stay out until two in the morning all the time and it never phased me.  Now, if I stay up past midnight I feel like I’m pushing the boundaries.

I must say though that it is wonderful to have Kara home again.  The house is so lonely without her.

No comments: